Skip to main content

Not Everyone Can Rap

I was talking to someone about writing a rap, and their response was, "oh, sure, why not, everyone can rap."  It kills me to hear comments like that.  It's the equivalent of saying, "oh, everyone can play the piano, you just hit the keys."  It's not as simple as that.  There's so much to rap both rhythmically and lyrically that people don't pay attention to.  Let's just deal with rhyming.  Take the chorus to Eminem's Without Me, for example.

Now this looks like a job for me
So everybody, just follow me
Cause we need a little, controversy
Cause it feels so empty, without me

There was a comment on a reddit thread deriding this chorus for being incredibly rudimentary, rhyming "me" with itself twice.  Now, that's true, but it completely misses the big picture.  The three "me"'s also rhyme with "everybody," "controversy," and "empty."  On top of that, he throws in a nice two-syllable internal rhyme with "job for" and "follow."  Clearly, this chorus is much more complicated than that commenter realized.

Now, you might say, sure, that's Eminem, possibly the greatest rapper of all time, but what about other rappers?  Truth is, plenty of rappers derided for being stupid and shallow are terrific rhymers.  For example, take this bit of Cam'ron's Hey Ma:

But not her, boobies' real, high heel dooby feel
Plus got them Gucci nails
You a cutie still
And this my down girl too - ain't no groupie deal
We left the movies with Uzis, Suzuki wheels
To the jacuzzi, I tell you, my booby's real
I mean she do be winnin', Louis spinnin'
Go to the crib, she got the Gucci linen
I see boo be grinnin'
She looked and said: "Cam, I know that you be sinnin'

All words/phrases that are highlighted in the same color rhyme, which is damn impressive.  Just look at the ones in red.  Sure, most aren't that complicated, and some are repeats, but it's still a two-syllable rhyme and there's 15 of them.  Not only that, he keeps that rhyme going while rhyming all the words in blue and green at the same time.  If you just look at subject matter, as most people tend to, you would write this off as a barely coherent take on a standard rap topic.  However, a closer look at the rhyming shows a master at work.

Turns out, Cam is actually renowned as a great rhymer, but even the average rapper nowadays will rhyme the last two syllables of each line with about three other lines.  Just as an example of this, let's just take the first bit of a generic rap song that's doing well on radio right now: Flo Rida's Wild Ones.

I like crazy, foolish, stupid
Party going wild, fist pumping music
I might lose it glass to the roof
That's how we do'z it

He evidently couldn't find a word with a short "i" vowel sound to follow "roof," and he uses "do'z," a word that doesn't actually exist.  However, he does rhyme the last two syllables of the first four lines, and even throws in a two internal rhymes in the form of "lose it" and "foolish."
 
Basically, there's much more to rap that most people think.  Heck, I haven't even gotten into flow, which is arguably even more complicated.  Hopefully this gave you a bit more of an appreciation for the complexities of rap.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Albums [9/13]

This week's a pretty good one for new releases.  Girls' Father, Son, Holy Ghost as well as St. Vincent's Strange Mercy will be officially released.  I've listened through both of them, and I thought I'd give them both a quick review. Girls - Father, Son, Holy Ghost: Girls is a San Francisco band, whose singer had a fucked up childhood in the Children of God cult, that makes ramshackle, charming, lo-fi, Beach Boys-sounding rock music. If you haven't heard their music, listen to Lust for Life , Laura , and/or Hellhole Ratrace off their first album (which was terribly titled as "Album").  Anyways, this album is definitely more expensive sounding than their debut, with more intricate and varied arrangements.  However, the songwriting is just not there.  I listened through the whole thing twice and found nothing to like.  Ironically, the only song that didn't make me want to vomit was the one called Vomit.  For that, I'll give this album a point...

New Albums [9/27]

Switchfoot - Vice Verses : I like the album title.  Too bad the music couldn't be as interesting.  It's all just extremely straightforward and easy-to-digest rock.  Pleasant enough, but entirely forgettable.  Dark Horse is rather enjoyable though.  Certainly below the level of Dare You to Move and Meant to Live, but better than anything else they've done.  Points: 1 Blink-182 - Neighborhoods : Just reread the Switchfoot review, replacing Dark Horse with After Midnight , and Dare You to Move and Meant to Live with All the Small Things, Adam's Song, and I Miss You.  Hell, I'll even do it for you: I like the album title.  Too bad the music couldn't be as interesting.  It's all just extremely straightforward and easy-to-digest rock.  Pleasant enough, but entirely forgettable.  After Midnight is rather enjoyable though.  Certainly below the level of All the Small Things, Adam's Song, and I Miss You, but better than ...

Frank Ocean - channel ORANGE

As of about a week ago, with this eloquent note , Frank Ocean became the first major urban artist to come out of the closet. Luther Vandross would be proud. This bit of news, quite justifiably, got the guy a ton of media coverage. To capitalize, his label has just rush released his major label debut, channel ORANGE, on iTunes.  Unfortunately, the album sucks. His earlier mixtape, Nostalgia, Ultra , was full of interesting songs that were well written and soulfully sung. Here, the music is still intriguing and soulful, but there's little quality or focus. At least 2/3 of the album sounds like an extended interlude, and the other 1/3 is not particularly memorable either. I like Thinking of You, Lost, and Forrest Gump, but three good songs out of 17 is not particularly good. tl;dr: The first major openly gay urban artist releases his debut to great media fanfare. Too bad it sucks. Go and listen to his old mixtape instead, that shit was off the chain.