Skip to main content

Review: Jay-Z - Magna Carta... Holy Grail

Rating: 6.3

This seems to be the year of great marketing and mediocre music.  Following the example of Justin Timberlake, Daft Punk, and Kanye West, Jay-Z has put out an album that's far more notable for its marketing campaign than for its content.

I can't believe Samsung's already paid Jay-Z $5 million for this. He doesn't deserve it. Never mind The Blueprint 3, this album doesn't even beat out Kingdom Come. Why couldn't Samsung have thrown a few million dollars in Vampire Weekend's direction? I suppose I'll just pretend this is delayed compensation for American Gangster.

Anyways, about the actual music: Jay-Z turns in a pretty good rap on "Jay-Z Blue," but, otherwise, he's just cruising along. There's none of the focus and the joy that he brought to almost all his verses on Watch the Throne. The hooks are also pretty uniformly awful. Jay-Z's never been particularly good with writing hooks, and, without Kanye around, there's just no one who can write a good one.

The beats are definitely best part about the album. They absolutely carry the first three songs, and they're generally good throughout. Timbaland hasn't done that much great work in recent years, but he definitely brought his "A" game to this project. Unfortunately, none of the other producers on the album managed to do the same, and half a dozen great beats just aren't enough to save an album.

Ever since The Blueprint, Jay-Z has consistently followed up every great album with a dud, and every dud with a great album. Hopefully he continues that trend and gives us something great next time around.

Key Tracks: None

Track-by-Track Rating:
  1. Holy Grail - 6.5
  2. Picasso Baby - 6.5
  3. Tom Ford - 8.0
  4. FuckWithMeYouKnowIGotIt - 6.5
  5. Oceans - 5.5
  6. F.U.T.W. - 5.5
  7. Somewhere in America - 5.0
  8. Crown - 6.0
  9. Heaven - 6.0
  10. Versus - 6.5
  11. Part II (On the Run) - 6.0
  12. Beach Is Better - 5.5
  13. BBC - 5.0
  14. Jay-Z Blue - 7.0
  15. La Familia - 5.5
  16. Nickels and Dimes - 6.0

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Albums [9/13]

This week's a pretty good one for new releases.  Girls' Father, Son, Holy Ghost as well as St. Vincent's Strange Mercy will be officially released.  I've listened through both of them, and I thought I'd give them both a quick review. Girls - Father, Son, Holy Ghost: Girls is a San Francisco band, whose singer had a fucked up childhood in the Children of God cult, that makes ramshackle, charming, lo-fi, Beach Boys-sounding rock music. If you haven't heard their music, listen to Lust for Life , Laura , and/or Hellhole Ratrace off their first album (which was terribly titled as "Album").  Anyways, this album is definitely more expensive sounding than their debut, with more intricate and varied arrangements.  However, the songwriting is just not there.  I listened through the whole thing twice and found nothing to like.  Ironically, the only song that didn't make me want to vomit was the one called Vomit.  For that, I'll give this album a point...

New Albums [9/27]

Switchfoot - Vice Verses : I like the album title.  Too bad the music couldn't be as interesting.  It's all just extremely straightforward and easy-to-digest rock.  Pleasant enough, but entirely forgettable.  Dark Horse is rather enjoyable though.  Certainly below the level of Dare You to Move and Meant to Live, but better than anything else they've done.  Points: 1 Blink-182 - Neighborhoods : Just reread the Switchfoot review, replacing Dark Horse with After Midnight , and Dare You to Move and Meant to Live with All the Small Things, Adam's Song, and I Miss You.  Hell, I'll even do it for you: I like the album title.  Too bad the music couldn't be as interesting.  It's all just extremely straightforward and easy-to-digest rock.  Pleasant enough, but entirely forgettable.  After Midnight is rather enjoyable though.  Certainly below the level of All the Small Things, Adam's Song, and I Miss You, but better than ...

Frank Ocean - channel ORANGE

As of about a week ago, with this eloquent note , Frank Ocean became the first major urban artist to come out of the closet. Luther Vandross would be proud. This bit of news, quite justifiably, got the guy a ton of media coverage. To capitalize, his label has just rush released his major label debut, channel ORANGE, on iTunes.  Unfortunately, the album sucks. His earlier mixtape, Nostalgia, Ultra , was full of interesting songs that were well written and soulfully sung. Here, the music is still intriguing and soulful, but there's little quality or focus. At least 2/3 of the album sounds like an extended interlude, and the other 1/3 is not particularly memorable either. I like Thinking of You, Lost, and Forrest Gump, but three good songs out of 17 is not particularly good. tl;dr: The first major openly gay urban artist releases his debut to great media fanfare. Too bad it sucks. Go and listen to his old mixtape instead, that shit was off the chain.