Skip to main content

Review: Kanye West - Yeezus

Rating: 6.6

Up until now, Kanye's always made music like The Beatles: high quality, palatable, and not particularly emotionally resonant. Yeezus is a completely different beast. It's somewhere between the Sex Pistols and early Nine Inch Nails. It's got brutal, simple electronic sounds and a punk mentality.  Kanye's apparently moved past Common and thrown his lot in with Chief Keef. I don't think he could've done anything more misguided. Look at it this way:

Kanye's Strengths:
Writing and finding great melodies
Layering sound

Kanye's Weaknesses:
Drum programming
Rapping (all of it - lyrics, flow & rhyming)

Yet, for some reason, he's roped in Rick Rubin to remove everything that plays to his strengths and focus entirely on his weaknesses. It's like asking a drum 'n bass producer to cut out the low end and make a Brian Eno album. There's no way you're gonna get good results. Now, I will admit that, if you are looking for anger in sonic form, Yeezus does a pretty good job. Unfortunately, if you're looking for quality music, you're gonna have better luck just about anywhere else.

Amazingly, critics and fans are still in love. If nothing else, this cements Kanye's position as the most respected artist in music today. No one else could've received such accolades for something so mediocre. Even Radiohead couldn't get the benefit of the doubt to this degree when they released the similarly mediocre King of Limbs a few years ago. Who knows, maybe this'll be the Never Mind the Bullocks of rap: a mediocre album that that, nevertheless, changes the genre and garners lasting respect. Probably not though.

Key Tracks: The Chorus of Bound 2

Track-by-Track Rating:
  1. On Sight - 7.0
  2. Black Skinhead - 7.5
  3. I Am a God - 7.0
  4. New Slaves - 7.5
  5. Hold My Liquor - 6.0
  6. I'm in It - 5.5
  7. Blood on the Leaves - 6.0
  8. Guilt Trip - 5.0
  9. Send It Up - 5.0
  10. Bound 2 - 7.5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Albums [9/13]

This week's a pretty good one for new releases.  Girls' Father, Son, Holy Ghost as well as St. Vincent's Strange Mercy will be officially released.  I've listened through both of them, and I thought I'd give them both a quick review. Girls - Father, Son, Holy Ghost: Girls is a San Francisco band, whose singer had a fucked up childhood in the Children of God cult, that makes ramshackle, charming, lo-fi, Beach Boys-sounding rock music. If you haven't heard their music, listen to Lust for Life , Laura , and/or Hellhole Ratrace off their first album (which was terribly titled as "Album").  Anyways, this album is definitely more expensive sounding than their debut, with more intricate and varied arrangements.  However, the songwriting is just not there.  I listened through the whole thing twice and found nothing to like.  Ironically, the only song that didn't make me want to vomit was the one called Vomit.  For that, I'll give this album a point...

New Albums [9/27]

Switchfoot - Vice Verses : I like the album title.  Too bad the music couldn't be as interesting.  It's all just extremely straightforward and easy-to-digest rock.  Pleasant enough, but entirely forgettable.  Dark Horse is rather enjoyable though.  Certainly below the level of Dare You to Move and Meant to Live, but better than anything else they've done.  Points: 1 Blink-182 - Neighborhoods : Just reread the Switchfoot review, replacing Dark Horse with After Midnight , and Dare You to Move and Meant to Live with All the Small Things, Adam's Song, and I Miss You.  Hell, I'll even do it for you: I like the album title.  Too bad the music couldn't be as interesting.  It's all just extremely straightforward and easy-to-digest rock.  Pleasant enough, but entirely forgettable.  After Midnight is rather enjoyable though.  Certainly below the level of All the Small Things, Adam's Song, and I Miss You, but better than ...

Frank Ocean - channel ORANGE

As of about a week ago, with this eloquent note , Frank Ocean became the first major urban artist to come out of the closet. Luther Vandross would be proud. This bit of news, quite justifiably, got the guy a ton of media coverage. To capitalize, his label has just rush released his major label debut, channel ORANGE, on iTunes.  Unfortunately, the album sucks. His earlier mixtape, Nostalgia, Ultra , was full of interesting songs that were well written and soulfully sung. Here, the music is still intriguing and soulful, but there's little quality or focus. At least 2/3 of the album sounds like an extended interlude, and the other 1/3 is not particularly memorable either. I like Thinking of You, Lost, and Forrest Gump, but three good songs out of 17 is not particularly good. tl;dr: The first major openly gay urban artist releases his debut to great media fanfare. Too bad it sucks. Go and listen to his old mixtape instead, that shit was off the chain.