Skip to main content

Best New Track

I love reading Pitchfork.  It's the one music publication that actually gets it right nowadays.  I mean seriously Rolling Stone, how can you give Tha Carter IV, which is a complete shitshow, the same rating as Watch the Throne, which is a rather solid album with three amazing songs (Those would be Niggas in Paris, Otis, and Illest Motherfucker Alive).  Anyways, Pitchfork does this Best New Music and Best New Track thing which I rather like.  I'm not one for albums, since I believe songs are individual entities that should be judged by themselves.  They're like a collection of short stories, not chapters in a book, and should be treated as such.  So, I will simply give my pick for Best New Track:

Example - Stay Awake

Example is another badly named British rapper (eg. Tinie Tempah, Chipmunk, Wretch 32).  Except, unlike the others, he can sorta rap and has a great sense of melody.  The track is currently the #1 single in the UK for a good reason.  The chorus to the song is absolutely brilliant. (It's the part that goes:

"If we don’t kill ourselves we’ll be the leaders of a messed-up generation
If we don’t kill ourselves will they believe us if we tell them the reasons why")

Also, the beat, which is done by Nero (arguably the most respected dubstep producers out now) is very fitting and bangs where it needs to.

(Bonus: Chipmunk, despite his terrible name, has come up with one absolutely brilliant song: Oopsy Daisy.  Seriously, if this ever gets released in the U.S., you won't be able to escape it.)

tl:dr: Badly named British rapper hooks up with godlike dubstep producers to birth a electro/pop/rap/dubstep masterpiece.  Have a listen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Albums [9/13]

This week's a pretty good one for new releases.  Girls' Father, Son, Holy Ghost as well as St. Vincent's Strange Mercy will be officially released.  I've listened through both of them, and I thought I'd give them both a quick review. Girls - Father, Son, Holy Ghost: Girls is a San Francisco band, whose singer had a fucked up childhood in the Children of God cult, that makes ramshackle, charming, lo-fi, Beach Boys-sounding rock music. If you haven't heard their music, listen to Lust for Life , Laura , and/or Hellhole Ratrace off their first album (which was terribly titled as "Album").  Anyways, this album is definitely more expensive sounding than their debut, with more intricate and varied arrangements.  However, the songwriting is just not there.  I listened through the whole thing twice and found nothing to like.  Ironically, the only song that didn't make me want to vomit was the one called Vomit.  For that, I'll give this album a point...

New Albums [9/27]

Switchfoot - Vice Verses : I like the album title.  Too bad the music couldn't be as interesting.  It's all just extremely straightforward and easy-to-digest rock.  Pleasant enough, but entirely forgettable.  Dark Horse is rather enjoyable though.  Certainly below the level of Dare You to Move and Meant to Live, but better than anything else they've done.  Points: 1 Blink-182 - Neighborhoods : Just reread the Switchfoot review, replacing Dark Horse with After Midnight , and Dare You to Move and Meant to Live with All the Small Things, Adam's Song, and I Miss You.  Hell, I'll even do it for you: I like the album title.  Too bad the music couldn't be as interesting.  It's all just extremely straightforward and easy-to-digest rock.  Pleasant enough, but entirely forgettable.  After Midnight is rather enjoyable though.  Certainly below the level of All the Small Things, Adam's Song, and I Miss You, but better than ...

Frank Ocean - channel ORANGE

As of about a week ago, with this eloquent note , Frank Ocean became the first major urban artist to come out of the closet. Luther Vandross would be proud. This bit of news, quite justifiably, got the guy a ton of media coverage. To capitalize, his label has just rush released his major label debut, channel ORANGE, on iTunes.  Unfortunately, the album sucks. His earlier mixtape, Nostalgia, Ultra , was full of interesting songs that were well written and soulfully sung. Here, the music is still intriguing and soulful, but there's little quality or focus. At least 2/3 of the album sounds like an extended interlude, and the other 1/3 is not particularly memorable either. I like Thinking of You, Lost, and Forrest Gump, but three good songs out of 17 is not particularly good. tl;dr: The first major openly gay urban artist releases his debut to great media fanfare. Too bad it sucks. Go and listen to his old mixtape instead, that shit was off the chain.